Many thanks to all those who helped contribute to my upcoming book. I can reveal the title will be:
Escape The Cubicle: Quit the Job You Hate & Create A Life You Love
Why Is A Book Title Important?
Be Clear & Get To The Point
You need to deliver the content of your book within the first few seconds and your book’s title is the first way to do this.
Here are the overwhelming results that showed there were 2 clear winners.
Ask Your Peers i.e author-entrepreneurs, writers
Ask Your Target Audience / Readers Of Your Book
Ask Friends / Family
So why did book title 2 win over the other titles?
1. Escape the Cubicle: Break Your Corporate Chains & Build A Life You Love
2. Escape the Cubicle: How To Quit The Job You Hate & Create A Life You Love
3. Escape the Cubicle: Stop Slogging. Start Living
4. Escape the cubicle: Stop Doing Cr*p You Hate & Start Doing Sh!t You Love
- This title doesn’t need any effort to understand what the book is about.
- It is clear and direct with it’s message
- It shows who the target reader is and who the book would be most relevant to
- It clearly refers to ‘cubicle’ workers who you can infer as office workers or even people in other jobs.
- The title is short and catchy. It will easily stick in people’s head
- The sub-title explains what the benefit of the book is i.e. how to quit your job and create a life you love. It is a little long hence why I have decided to cut out the ‘how to’ part so it reads ‘ Quit the job you hate. Build a life you love’.
The Runner-up Title
Should you ask other people for help on your book title?
Know Your Book
It is your job to craft this into the title and make it obvious what problem you are addressing is and how your book provides a solution. The title and sub-title is the best place to address these points.
Ask For Feedback
This is the entrepreneurial mindset authors need to embrace.
What I learnt from choosing my book title
- As the author know your book inside out. Be clear on the problem you are addressing and how your book provides that solution.
- You can ask for suggestions but it is your job as the author to come up with a title and subtitle.
- Brainstorm as many ideas you can, don’t hold back
- Once you have a list, narrow down to your top 5 titles at the most
- Get feedback. Poll some people. Ask your reader audience.
- Listen to the results and compare with your book’s goal
After Feedback Make A Decision
How did you choose your book title? Please share in the comments below.
My upcoming book ‘Escape The Cubicle’ will help you to find your passions, live on purpose and unleash your potential.
Get the first chapter for free here.
Also published on Medium.