These new posts, entitled ‘My Author Journey – Update‘ will be a space for me to start sharing a little more about my personal journey from leaving the corporate grind to becoming a full-time author-entrepreneur.
My intention is to make a six-figure income…and this is just the beginning may I add! I have far grander plans and visions!
I want to start documenting and sharing a little more regarding my progress on my book.
So I will start to publish a weekly / fortnightly update with my progress and plans (typically at the end of the week on a Sunday). This will also help me to remain accountable!
I also hope to show you what goes on behind the scenes of building an author business from scratch. And I hope you can learn from my journey.
I am currently working on my first self-published, non-fiction book. The proposed title is ‘How To Find Your Purpose & Passion’ and I’m still in the editing phase.
Editing has taken far longer to do than I had previously anticipated. I had thought I would only need two weeks to complete the edits. But almost four months on and I am still editing.
But hey that’s OK. It’s all part of the learning process.
I am editing in layers as it is difficult to do everything in one go.
I also tend to get tired of reading the manuscript (MS) multiple of times and have learned that I need to sometimes take a break from it in order to come back with a fresh perspective.
So the goal this year is to get the book published in print and ebook version.
Progress This Week
- This week I managed to complete the second round of editing. This included making changes to the manuscript, re-arranging huge chunks of it so that it read logically.
- I also added in additional text. I have a number of case studies in each chapter that helps to illustrate the chapter’s theme. The research took me a lot longer to complete but I am now happy with the content.
Plans For Next Week
- Tomorrow, I plan to start the next edit. This includes running the entire MS through Grammarly which is an online editor. The goal is to do another read through of the book from start to finish to ensure the narrative is structured and flows logically. I plan to complete that in three days.
- Research and add appropriate quotes per chapter.
- The plan is to have the manuscript ready by the end of this week so that I can send it back to my editor where she will perform another content edit. A content edit looks mainly at the story flow and structure.
What are your writing plans for this week?