So last week, my formatter delivered the final file to me. I checked it and all looked great. I sent an email confirming the file was ready for upload and we could get started on confirming and finalising the cover.
And then the next day whilst I was waiting in a queue, it dawned on me that we had forgotten to add in the Foreword! Duh! (Though I have since learned queues are great places where inspiration and insights dawn on me!)
So back to the drawing board as we had to pull the file and add the missing text.
Not such a big deal but it meant a few more days of delays as all the page numbers and the formatting had to be shifted again.
This will also impact the final book cover file as the designer is preparing the back cover and the spine. The spine is determined by the number of pages in the book..which is determined by the formatting.
So we are now at the last hurdle of finalising the spine/ back cover. Once those files are ready, I will be uploading them to the online platforms for distribution.
Those on my email list will receive a free advance copy in the coming weeks. If you would like to be a part of the launch team then drop me an email or sign up to the email list to stay up to date with the latest.
And here are a few tips for formatting that I would like to share with you:
- Check you are happy with the fonts used for chapter headings and the main body text of your book.
- Check the title page shows the correct title and author name, spelled correctly
- Check the copyright page shows the correct author name, pronoun (him/her), and the correct ISBN. If you have a website address or twitter handle on your copyright page – check this is correct
- Check the table of contents. This can be time-consuming but you need to check all the page numbers given refer to the correct chapters
- If you have running headers (author name/chapter name/title) running across the top of each page, check these are correct. Generally speaking, you should not have a head on any page that is the start of a chapter (as it detracts from the chapter name)
- If you have any maps or illustrations check these appear as expected
- If you have any footnotes/end notes or other complex elements make sure to check they are appearing as expected.
Also published on Medium.